MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte has said he was willing to let go of his beef with ABS-CBN, but reiterated that he was hurt by the network’s supposed actions against him.
In a speech before the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) on Tuesday night, Duterte explained that while he was hurt that a campaign advertisement against him aired in ABS-CBN during the 2016 presidential elections, he has "learned to live with it."
“That was really hurting. Kaya minsan, I blurt it out but I have learned to live with it actually. Kung minsan mag-init lang ang ulo ko,” Duterte said.
(That was really hurting. So sometimes, I blurt it out but I have learned to live with it actually. But sometimes I get mad.)
Duterte said while he was hurt about the incident, he would now rather “let it pass.”
“Huwag na lang yung away kasi talagang nasaktan ako doon at nauna pa iyung kay Trillanes na black propaganda ‘yung bata. ‘Yung tuturuan sila.”
(Let’s just not fight even if it was really hurtful that they aired Trillanes’ black propaganda ahead of mine.)
“But let’s just understand each other, and let it pass. I said because let no man with no sin cast the first stone.”
In 2016, ABS-CBN aired a commercial sponsored by Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV. The ad showed children reacting to the then mayor's controversial remarks.
Duterte has also repeatedly lamented that ABS-CBN failed to air his campaign advertisement despite it already being paid for.
“I will not say I am sorry but you should understand me. 'Yung placement ko na hindi natuloy, tapos nababoy pa ako.,” he said.
(My ad placement was not aired. And they even ruined my reputation.)
Duterte objected to the network’s reporting of allegations of his supposed ill-gotten wealth, which other media entities also reported on.
“Billions and billions sabi raw ng...hindi naman totoo. Ano man ang makuha nila, sa totoo lang? Tinignan na nila 'yan. 'Yan sila diyan. I never had that money.”
Duterte had earlier said that if it were up to him, he will not hand to the network its franchise renewal. But his spokesman, Harry Roque, has backpedaled on his tirades against the network, saying the President still values press freedom.
News.abs-cbn.com is the official news website of ABS-CBN Corp.