Palace to give Marcos 'ceremonies fitting a president'

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 11 2016 12:03 PM | Updated as of Aug 11 2016 12:12 PM

MANILA – There is no specific date yet for the burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, Malacañang said Thursday.

A newspaper reported earlier that the burial is set on September 18.

There have been mounting calls for President Rodrigo Duterte to reconsider his decision to allow a burial for Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

Human rights victims during the martial law period and even allies of the president are opposing the burial.

Robredo, some Duterte allies frown on hero's burial for Marcos

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said Marcos will be accorded ''ceremonies fitting a president."

Critics say allowing a hero's burial for the late dictator would send a wrong message, especially since the Marcos family up to this day refuses to acknowledge and apologize for the abuses and corruption under the dictator's regime, who was ousted from power through a military-backed popular revolt in 1986.

Preparations are now underway for the transfer of the late strongman's remains, which are currently in his hometown in Ilocos Norte.

The Marcos family recently bought a solid bronze casket for the patriarch.