MANILA - The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) confirmed Wednesday that a 27-year-old man died of red tide poisoning in Taytay, Palawan last July 27.
In a phone interview, Sandra Arcamo, chief of the BFAR Fisheries Resource Management Division, told ABS-CBN that the man's family consumed tahong from the waters of Taytay town.
The man was brought to a rural hospital, but died while undergoing treatment.
"Dinala pa sa rural hospital. Pero siguro 'yung namatay, maraming nakain," said Arcamo.
BFAR noted that the last time Taytay, Palawan tested positive for red tide was in 1999.
RED TIDE ALERT UP IN 7 PH AREAS
BFAR has raised the red tide alert in seven areas across the country after their waters tested positive for paralytic shellfish poison.
BFAR warned the public against harvesting, eating, and selling shellfish from the following red tide positive areas:
- Irong-Irong Bay, Western Samar
- Inner Malampaya Sound, Taytay, Palawan
- Puerto Princesa Bay, Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
- coastal waters of Mandaon, Masbate
- coastal waters of Placer, Masbate
- Siit Bay, Siaton, Negros Oriental
- Balite Bay, Mati, Davao Oriental
"Dapat ang lahat ng shellfish [at] alamang na gathered dun sa area na sinabing may red tide, 'wag kainin kasi hindi siya safe. Pero 'yung isda, squid, at crabs ay pwedeng kainin basta linisin muna at siguruhing fresh siya. Tanggalin muna ang internal organs at gills at intestines bago i-prepare for pagkain," Arcamo said.
Arcamo said many factors cause red tide such as abrupt changes of extreme weather conditions.
"Nagaganap ito kung mahabang panahon na tag-init, tapos susundan ng malakas na pag-ulan. Tapos nagkaroon ng dagliang daloy ng tubig mula sa lupa from the watershed or upland," said Arcamo.
As first aid, victims of paralytic shellfish poisoning should be forced to vomit and should be immediately taken to the hospital.
BFAR also said that, before purchasing, consumers should ensure that the shellfish and seafood came from red-tide free areas.