Court orders Sytin arrest for bro's slay

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 30 2019 05:58 PM

MANILA - An Olongapo court has ordered the arrest of slain businessman Dominic Sytin's younger brother and another suspect for his November 2018 murder.

The Olongapo City Regional Trial Court Branch 72 on Monday issued an arrest warrant against Dennis Sytin and Ryan Rementilla.

Both are facing murder and frustrated murder charges over the killing of Dominic Sytin, founder and chief executive officer of United Auctioneers Inc. (UAI), and the wounding of his bodyguard Efren Espartero in an incident in front of Lighthouse Hotel at the Subic Bay Freeport Zone on Nov. 28, 2018.

The court recommended no bail for both suspects.

In a statement, Dennis Sytin said he would file a petition for the reversal of the Department of Justice's indictment, calling the charges "baseless."

"I am determined to immediately set aside the false and baseless charges against me as it is my right and the right of the "clearly innocent" to be free from the trouble, expense and anxiety of a protracted trial," he said.

He reiterated he has no knowledge nor involvement in the crime.

He also denied knowing self-confessed gunman Edgardo Luib, who he accused of fabricating stories to implicate him.

Luib, who was arrested in Batangas in March for a different murder case, had admitted to shooting Dominic Sytin and Espartero, allegedly on the younger Sytin's orders in exchange for money.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) filed criminal charges against Dennis Sytin in March 2019.

He had earlier denied involvement saying he was "not capable of murder" but police were looking at an alleged fight over control of shares in UAI, one of the country's biggest auction firms, prior to the killing.

- with a report from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News