Some 3,900 residents remained in evacuation centers as floods continued to submerge sections of 2 towns in Pangasinan, which has been inundated by monsoon rains, the local disaster office said.
As of 8 a.m., 20 villages were still flooded in Calasiao town, forcing 321 families or 1,200 individuals to stay in evacuation centers, said Ronn Castillo of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office.
Some 500 families or 2700 individuals were also in evacuation centers in Dagupan as 10 of its barangays remained flooded, he said.
"Nakabantay po ang aming opisina gayong kahit medyo umaaraw na sa umaga, umuulan naman sa hapon," Castillo told radio DZMM.
(Our office is on watch because even if it's sunny in the mornings, rains come in the afternoon.)
Pangasinan has been placed under a state of calamity since last Monday, allowing local officials to tap emergency funds and impose a prize freeze on basic goods.
The habagat on Sunday will bring scattered rains and thunderstorms over Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Palawan, and Mindoro provinces, the state weather bureau said.
Monsoon rains enhanced by typhoons Henry, Inday and Josie earlier this month left P2.402 billion worth of damage to infrastructure and agriculture, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported Saturday.
DZMM, 29 Hulyo 2018