MANILA - The police officers involved in the drug operation that killed a toddler in Rodriguez town in Rizal province last month have been charged, police chief Oscar Albayalde said Thursday.
"As of this time, we have already charged them both administratively and criminally for double murder and homicide for the other members," said Albayalde.
In an interview on ANC's Headstart, Albayalde said 20 police officers were involved in the operation against Renato Dolorfina last June.
"They were all 20, one died--Sergeant [Conrad] Cabigao, so 19 were charged and all of them were relieved from their posts including the chief of police and the provincial director," he said.
The toddler, 3-year-old Myka Ulpina, sustained a gunshot wound in the head. A bullet entered her nape with an upward trajectory and exited her left ear.
Police said she was killed in the crossfire. Ballistic examination revealed that the fatal bullet that killed the child was fired by one of the police officers.
"It's painful to charge your own men but we have to do it so that these things will never happen again and these things will serve as lessons for all of us," he said.