Lanao official appeals to evacuees to call off march in Marawi

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 23 2017 10:32 AM

MANILA - A Marawi official is appealing to the organizers of the planned march by evacuees to call off their plan to hold the mass action within Marawi itself.

Zia Alonto Adiong, spokesperson for the Lanao del Sur crisis management committee, told radio DZMM on Sunday that the planned march is ill-advised as fighting continues in Marawi.

Adiong reiterated that Marawi is not safe yet, with the provincial capitol itself continuing to be hit by stray bullets.

"Inaantay lang po natin na mag-advise ang military na completely matapos na po itong gyera para wala pong malagay sa peligro," Adiong said.

He also agreed with the decision of Congress to extend martial law in Mindanao, saying this was merited by the situation in Marawi.

However, Adiong also said that the government needed to go beyond a military solution to the Marawi conflict and address the roots of radicalization.

"Aside po yung sa military na pakikipagbakbakan sa grupong ito, kailangan po ay mas broader po ang ating approach, long term po."

Adiong said poverty was a significant factor in the rise of terror groups in Marawi. He said that prior to the eruption of conflict in the city, the Maute group had been recruiting impoverished boys there to become fighters by offering to pay them P15,000 a month.