MANILA - Nearly 500 Filipinos died from dengue in the first half of 2019 as 5 regions continue to record high numbers of patients suffering from the mosquito-borne disease, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Friday.
The 106,630 dengue cases recorded from January to June 29, 2019 is 85 percent higher than last year's 57,564 during the same period, Duque told DZMM's Kabayan.
Calabarzon, Bicol, Western Visayas, Zamboanga and Northern Mindanao have been hardest hit by the epidemic, he said.
Dengue cases were also rising in Ilocos, Cagayan, Mimaropa, Eastern Visayas, Davao, Soccsksargen, Cordillera and Bangsamoro regions, he said.
Tents are being distributed in Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan, Guimaras and Antique where hospitals are already congested, the Health chief said.
The government is also working with the Philippine Red Cross to ensure that there is enough supply in blood banks, he said.
Health officials declared a national dengue alert earlier this month after observing a spike in dengue cases nationwide.