MANILA - Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa confirmed Monday that some of the police directors recently relieved from their posts were involved in the narcotics trade.
At a command conference in Cebu City, Dela Rosa said some of the relieved senior officials were receiving drug money.
Dela Rosa ordered a reorganization of senior officials in the PNP during his first day in office last July 1.
The massive reshuffle covered the PNP Command Group.
Regional directors were also reassigned to "other equally-important positions in different levels of command."
President Rodrigo Duterte himself recently named five police officers, including two who are already retired, as drug coddlers.
Nine police officers also tested positive for drug use earlier this month. The PNP has yet to announce the results of a further confirmatory test to verify the presence of shabu and marijuana in their urine samples.
APOLOGY FOR MAYOR
Dela Rosa also apologized to Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña for the inclusion of the city's police director among the officials sacked from their posts.
Osmeña earlier threatened to stop giving rewards to policemen who arrest or kill drug pushers after Cebu City Police Office Director Benjamin Santos Jr. was reassigned.
Dela Rosa said Osmeña's initiative of granting incentives to policemen is a big help to the administration's fight against illegal drugs. But he also stressed that the PNP will do its duty even without the reward system.
Dela Rosa also signed a memorandum of agreement with retired judges, justices, and fiscals who offered free legal assistance to policemen who will face cases in line of their work.
-- With reports from Carine Era Asutilla Lapid, ABS-CBN News; Angelica Fay Saniel and Junrey Nadela, DYAB Cebu