MANILA (UPDATE) - The Philippines on Friday reported 1,841 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, raising the nationwide total to 63,001.
Of the newly announced cases, 441 came from Manila, 140 from Quezon City, 96 from Mandaluyong City, 87 from Cebu City and 86 from Navotas, the Department of Health (DOH) said in its latest bulletin.
Meanwhile, the number of people who have recovered from coronavirus infection rose by 311 to 21,748.
The health ministry also reported 17 new fatalities from the contagious disease, bringing the death toll to 1,660.
To date, the Philippines has 39,593 active coronavirus cases, of which 90.3 percent exhibiting mild symptoms.
The country has so far tested more than 1 million people for COVID-19, latest figures from the DOH showed. It reached 25,000 testing capacity on July 9, nearing its target of 30,000 daily testing.
Due to a surge of COVID-19 infections, University of the Philippines researchers said they expect coronavirus cases to surpass 80,000 by the end of July.
The country could flatten the curve by September if its new pandemic protocols work, including localized lockdowns and ramped-up isolation measures for patients, Guido David of the UP Institute of Mathematics earlier told ABS-CBN's TeleRadyo.
To curtail the spread of the virus, President Rodrigo Duterte has again extended the general community quarantine in Metro Manila while downgraded the lockdown rule in Cebu City to modified enhanced community quarantine.