MANILA (UPDATE) - The Philippines' fishing capital Navotas is placed under a 2-week lockdown beginning Monday, its mayor Toby Tiangco said, following the continuous rise of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infections in the city.
Tiangco earlier said the city's isolation facilities were full as he reported 31 residents tested positive for the virus on Sunday. The patients will be brought to quarantine facilities at the World Trade Center at Philippine Arena, he added.
Several village watchmen and law enforcement authorities have undergone isolation and some have contracted the disease, Tiangco said as he noted calls for stricter implementation of virus measures.
"Kaya nga po hinihingi namin ang inyong tulong at pakikiisa dahil hindi po namin kayo mababantayan lahat," he said.
(That's why we are asking for everyone's cooperation because we cannot monitor everybody's movement.)
"Kaya sa pagpasok sa trabaho bukas, siguruhin na parating nakasuot ng mask. Maghugas parati ng kamay. Iwasan munang sumabay sa pagkain o makipagkwentuhan nang malapitan. Sundin ang 1-2 metrong distansya para maiwasang mahawaan ng virus," he added.
(Those reporting for work tomorrow, please don't forget to wear your mask. Wash your hands regularly and avoid eating with colleagues. Please follow physical distancing so you don't contract the virus.)
Some 200 policemen will be deployed to the city to augment the implementation of the lockdown, said Brig. Gen. Ronnie Ylagan, director of the Northern Police District.
Tiangco last week put under lockdown a part of Barangay Bangculasi to limit virus transmission after it reported 7 COVID-19 cases.
The city, dubbed the "Commercial Fishing Hub of the Philippines," has the third largest fish port in Asia. In early May, it was placed under “extreme enhanced community quarantine” (EECQ) to prevent the spread of the pandemic.