No issue over new SONA director: Andanar

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 11 2018 03:22 PM | Updated as of Jul 11 2018 03:53 PM

MANILA- There is no issue over the choice of a new director for President Rodrigo Duterte's third State of the Nation Address, Palace communications secretary Martin Andanar said Wednesday. 

Romantic-comedy film director Joyce Bernal will direct the President's SONA this year, replacing acclaimed director Brillante Mendoza.

Andanar said the choice is about giving chances to other directors and revealed that it was actor Robin Padilla who suggested Bernal. 

The President approved of Bernal, according to Andanar.

“Wala hong issue or dahilan kung bakit pinalitan siya (Mendoza). It’s really just giving a chance to other directors. And this time, it’s Direk Joyce,” he told reporters Wednesday.

(There is no issue or reason why Mendoza was replaced.) 

Mendoza directed Duterte’s first two SONAs. He had drawn both cheers and jeers for his unconventional use of shots and camera angles in the President’s speeches.

Andanar also dismissed criticism about the replacement, saying the public should wait for the President's SONA instead.

“Nasa magiging resulta yan na makikita natin on the day of the State of the Nation Address," he said.

(It will depend on the results which we will see on the day of the State of the Nation Address.)

A technical meeting is underway between Bernal and Palace communication officials led by Radio-Television Malacañang.

Duterte is set to deliver his third SONA on July 23.

Malacañang had earlier said the President will finish his speech within 35 minutes and will read from prepared remarks.

- with a report from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News