Duterte barred from running in 2022, says ConCom member

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 10 2018 10:15 PM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte will not be allowed to run for re-election in 2022, a member of his constitutional consultative committee (ConCom) said Tuesday.

"At the very least what is already agreed is that the President is barred from running for election under the new constitution," Political Science professor Edmund Tayao told ANC's Beyond Politics.

"So whether it's going to be, well, if the original plan pushes through that the first presidential election is on 2022, definitely, the new language is very clear: he is barred from running for office 2022."

Tayao said that if the proposed federal constitution is ratified within six months, the president should call for an election for the transitional president.

A plebiscite on the new charter might be held by March 2019, he added.

Duterte last week again promised that he would not seek an extension of his term if the shift to federalism pushes through.

He also sought a provision under the proposed charter forcing him to step down during the transition period.

Duterte has repeatedly said he wants to rest and go back to his hometown of Davao City after serving as the country’s president in 2022.

He has said several times that he is willing to cut short his presidency should a new constitution mandating federalism be in place before his 6-year term ends.

He has also rejected the idea of leading a transition government if the administration's push for a shift to federalism succeeds.