COVID-19 cases decrease in Marikina, Muntinlupa, Makati but rise in QC — DOH

Kristine Sabillo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 07 2020 12:36 AM

MANILA — The Department of Health on Monday said it has seen a decline in COVID-19 cases in three Metro Manila cities although it is monitoring Quezon City because of a spike in cases.

“We are thankful to report that as of July 5, the mentioned cities show a significant decline in case growth, as follows: Marikina decreased by 68%, Muntinlupa decreased by 10%, Makati decreased by 4%,” the DOH said in a message to media.

“We are closely monitoring Quezon City which has shown an increase by 34%,” it added.

The agency clarified that it mistakenly identified the four cities as “emerging hotspots” during the Monday afternoon televised briefing.

“The following cities were mistakenly classified as hotspots and was based on a report last month,” DOH said. “We apologize for the confusion. This is our up to date record. We will redouble our efforts to keep our reports as current as possible.”

During the briefing, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire pointed out the increase in cases in NCR but also the decrease in other areas. 

“Notable again is NCR and its neighboring regions as cases have been rising in the past 2 weeks,” she said. “Cases in the Visayas region are seen to be slowly decreasing, but we must continue to monitor the area if the decrease will be sustained.”

On Monday morning, Vergeire already mentioned Quezon City and Manila among the top 6 areas in the country with rising COVID-19 cases, alongside Cebu province, Cebu City, and Mandaue City.

Based on the DOH website, Quezon City tops the list of NCR cities with 3,420 cases as of July 4. Next is Manila with 2,415 cases, Caloocan with 1,059, Makati with 1,020 and Parañaque with 878. 

As of Monday, there were 46,333 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country. Of the fresh cases, 601 are from the National Capital Region, 280 are from Region 7 (Central Visayas), 48 are Filipino repatriates, and 329 were tagged as “Others.” Others may refer to cases from other regions or those without location data. Of the late cases, 397 are from NCR, 186 from Central Visayas, 212 are tagged as Others, and 46 are Filipino repatriates.

While NCR remains the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, areas of Region 7 have been identified as emerging hotspots before.

The DOH, however, told media on Monday that it no longer classifies areas as hotspots.