18.5M learners enroll for coming school year so far —DepEd

Jasmin Romero, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 07 2020 01:54 PM

Parents submit the “Learner Enrollment Survey Form” of their children in a drop box at the Rosauro Almario Elementary School in Tondo, Manila. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA — More than 18 million learners have registered in public and private schools nationwide, data from the Department of Education showed Tuesday, a week after it was announced that the enrollment period was extended to July 15.

As of Tuesday morning, 18,558,639 have enrolled in public and private schools, according to DepEd data.

The number was still short from the education department's target of 21.6 million, which is 80 percent of 27 million or last school year's total number of enrolled learners.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones has said they are projecting a lower number of students this coming school year as families continue to bear the economic brunt of the coronavirus pandemic.

Data also showed that Calabarzon had the most number of enrolled learners at 2.5 million, followed by Central Luzon with over 2 million.

Meanwhile, the National Capital Region, Bicol region, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, and Davao region each recorded a million enrolled learners.

Around 17.6 million are enrolled in public schools while over 866,000 have registered in private schools, according to DepEd data as of Tuesday morning.

Last Tuesday, government announced that the last day of enrollment in public schools was moved to July 15. At the time, 15.9 learners had enrolled in both public and private schools.

Public schools are scheduled to begin classes on August 24 while private schools are allowed to open earlier upon seeking the approval of DepEd's regional directors.

In the coming school year, students will learn through online platforms, printed and digital modules, television and radio as in-person classes remain suspended due to the threat of COVID-19.

Briones earlier said she would ask permission from President Duterte to allow face-to-face classes in areas where there are no cases of COVID-19, an idea backed by Vice President Leni Robredo, and House basic education and culture committee chairman Roman Romulo.

Schools that will be allowed to hold in-person classes must follow minimum health standards, such as reduced class sizes, said Briones.

-- With a report from Jaehwa Bernardo, ABS-CBN News