A police official has refuted the claims of acting Mayor Paolo Duterte that Davao City is under threat from terror group ISIS.
Davao City Police Chief Senior Superintendent Michael John Dubria clarified that terror group has no presence in Mindanao.
"Wala pong ISIS sa ating lugar per result of intelligence exchange," he told ANC's Top Story on Thursday.
"Kung meron mang groups that are trying to portray themselves as affiliated with ISIS, that remains to be validated kasi wala kaming confirmed or recognized the group na ISIS dito sa Region XI or Mindanao," he added.
In a press conference earlier in the day, Davao City Acting Mayor Paolo Duterte revealed that Davao City is under ISIS threat and that they are now intensifying intelligence monitoring to further verify information.
READ: Davao under threat from terror group ISIS, says Duterte son
The vice mayor said he has ordered Task Force Davao and Davao City Police Office to beef up security, and Dubria said they are heeding this call especially because there are activities lined up in the coming days.
Dubria said this is not the first time that the city has been subjected to terror attacks, especially with threat groups like the Abu Sayyaf Group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters within its periphery.
And with the newly inaugurated president, President Rodrigo Duterte, hailing from the province and frequenting the city, he said the police and military have expected these threats to increase.
"Those are threats [that] when the police and the military are acting on immediately, siguro ay nape-prevent yung mga pangyayaring ganun," he said.
Dubria said there's a big chance that people do report to executive authorities like vice-mayor Duterte, but it is still important that these pieces of information are forwarded to the police.
"So mayroon silang network [of informants], then the next thing to do is inform the police and military. That’s why we have to further validate the information," he said.
He noted that the police in Davao has an "effective and intensified coordination" with the Armed Forces and other operating forces in the area, thus they accept Duterte's press release and marching orders for stricter security a "challenge."