At least 2 dead, more than 100 in hospital after magnitude 6.5 Leyte quake

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 06 2017 07:58 PM | Updated as of Jul 07 2017 12:29 PM

(2nd UPDATE) MANILA - At least two people were killed while 104 people were brought to hospitals after a magnitude 6.5 earthquake hit southwest of Jaro, Leyte, officials said on Thursday. 

Kananga Mayor Rowena Codilla said one person was killed after a commercial building collapsed in the town following the temblor.

“Mayroon tayong one casualty, fatality. And then ‘yung outpatients, we treated already 20. [The one who was killed was] Jerry Mediavilla, 42. He’s from Ormoc. Wala pa akong update kung nabagsakan pero I think nabagsakan,” Codilla told radio DZMM.

The Office of Civil Defense in Region 8 confirmed the Ormoc fatality. 

"Here in Ormoc, there’s one casualty confirmed but total number of patients have [gone up] to 40, most of them trauma patients," Leyte Rep. Lucy-Torres Gomez told ANC.

Leyte Gov. Dominic Petilla said rescue teams pulled out one survivor out of a collapsed building.

"So far, the teams there were able to pull out two people. One was still alive, the other one unfortunately died already," he said.

"It is kind of difficult to move things because building might continue to collapse, causing more casualties basically. They are trying to do it slowly one by one.”

Petilla said they are seeking help from the engineering battalion of the military to assist with the rescue operation.

Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez, meanwhile, said an 18-year-old woman died in a landslide that occurred after the quake.

He said the woman's 5-month-old child was rescued.

"Dito sa Ormoc City, mayroong isang babaeng 18-years-old na namatay doon sa landslide sa barangay nila and nasa loob siya ng bahay, natabunan siya ng bahay nila. Mayroon siyang anak na 5 months old, nakuha ‘yung bata. Ligtas ‘yung bata," Gomez told radio DZMM.

As of 7:45 p.m., 104 patients from nearby municipalities have been brought to Ormoc City for treatment, Gomez said.

“May report sa amin sa isang lugar na naputol [ang] paa kasi nabagsakan ng building... [May] bumagsak sa kabilang town pero dito kasi dinadala sa Ormoc,” he said.

Gomez said major highways in Ormoc City showed cracks following the quake but are still passable.

“May kaunting crack sa major highways pero passable naman. Mayroong two roads sa bundok din na mayroong landslides, sarado ‘yung kalsada pero aasikasuhin ng DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) ‘yun,” he said.

He added that the city currently has no power.

“Base sa report ng Energy Development Corporation, cut off muna ‘yung kuryente, cut off system sila kapag malakas ang lindol. Wala kaming kuryente dito, we’re running on batteries and generators,” he said.