The ANC Brief: Dangers of commuting

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 03 2020 05:38 AM

Is it safe to commute on MRT-3 in this time of a pandemic? Here are the stories making the headlines on ANC today:

Really safe?
MRT-3 will reduce the number of trains beginning Monday after 127 out of 1,700 personnel of its maintenance provider tested positive for COVID-19. But management assured the public that it is still safe to ride the MRT-3 and safety protocols are in place.
 
Reforms in the force
Sen. Risa Hontiveros called for reforms in the ranks of the police after the shooting in Sulu that left four soldiers dead. Hontiveros also filed a resolution for the Senate to probe the incident. Interior Sec. Eduardo Ano said President Duterte will meet with top officials of the military, one of whom called the incident a “rubout,” and police in the wake of the incident.

Reviewing revenues
The Palace said lawmakers will have the ABS-CBN workforce in mind in the decision to grant the network’s franchise. Thursday’s hearing zeroed in on the block time agreement between ABS-CBN and Amcara Broadcasting and the issue of taxes paid by the network.

Hardheaded
Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella said there are a number of factors that is driving the increase of COVID-19 cases in the city. President Duterte had criticized Cebuanos’ supposed “hardheadedness” for the rising number of cases. The Department of Health (DOH) said hospital facilities to deal with COVID-19 is at a critical level.

Father’s Day
Earlier this year, just before the outbreak hit the country, sportscaster Migs Bustos and his wife Mischi found out they were going to become parents. Despite the challenges of being a dad in the time of COVID, he still describes it as his biggest win.