MANILA — Voter registration is suspended till August 31 due to the rising cases of the novel coronavirus in the country, the Commission on Elections said Tuesday.
In a statement, Comelec said it extended the suspension of voter registration, including satellite registration nationwide.
“The suspension was previously set only until June 30 but was extended for two more months in view of the still rising number of COVID-19 cases nationwide,” Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a statement.
“Our field personnel continue to outfit their existing offices and procure supplies in order to be COVID-19 ready. We are continuously refining our guidelines and health safety protocols so that we do not contribute to the further spread of the virus,” he added.
Comelec first suspended the voter registration last March 9, which was extended till June 30.
President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to announce on Tuesday new quarantine protocols starting from July 1.