Murdered, raped grandma supposed to celebrate birthday in July


Posted at Jun 29 2017 04:08 PM | Updated as of Jul 04 2017 07:22 PM

Dexter Carlos watches over the remains of his family in a basketball court in San Jose del Monte, Bulacan. Butuan City Police Station 3

MANILA - Security guard Dexter Carlos Sr. is doing his best to stay strong after his wife, children and mother-in-law were murdered inside their house in Bulacan while he was away on graveyard duty.

Carlos said he has not had proper sleep since the death of his wife, Estrella; their kids aged 1, 5 and 11; and his mother-in-law, Auring.

"Minsan, kahit anong pilit ko napapaisip pa rin ako kung ano'ng dapat kong gawin. Kung papaano ako mag-a-adjust. 'Yan 'yung minsan gumugulo sa isip ko," he told ABS-CBN News. 

(I'm still thinking what I should do, how I'll adjust. These thoughts are really haunting me.)

Carlos continues to watch over the remains of his entire family in a basketball court in their subdivision. The wake is held there, he said, because the caskets would not fit in their small house in San Jose del Monte. 

The security guard said sometimes he cannot help but blame himself for what happened since he was out protecting a bank instead of staying home protecting his family.

"Tiynempo talaga nila na wala ako. At saka alam nila na wala ako kasi 'yung landmark na motor. Pag wala 'yung motor, alam nila na wala ako," he said. 

(They timed it when I was not there. They knew I was not there because they could not see my motorcycle. If my motorcycle is not there, they know I'm not there.)

Carlos recalled that his wife had been asking him when he will be transferred to the morning shift. He said he was supposed to be transferred on July 1. 

Before the massacre, Carlos said he and his wife had been planning to throw a surprise birthday party for his mother-in-law, who will be celebrating her birthday on July 20. 

"'Yun 'yung plano namin na magba-bonding na lang kami sa Jollibee. Doon na lang ise-celebrate sana 'yung birthday," he said, recalling his last conversations with his wife.

(That was our plan, to bond in Jollibee. That's where we wanted to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday.)

The bonding will not push through as both women are now dead. Worse, they were also raped by their murderer, identified as Carmelino Ibañez. 

Ibañez said he and his cohorts, aliases "Tony" and "Inggo", were under the influence of illegal drugs and alcohol when they did the crime. 

Asked why he raped the two, he said: ""Parang naisipan lang." 

(I just thought about it at the spur of the moment.)

He added that they did not intend to kill Carlos' children but he said he cannot recall much about the crime as they were high on shabu.

Carlos said the family has yet decided on the date for the burial of the victims. He said he is still waiting for their relatives from Cagayan Valley and Davao to arrive in Bulacan. -Report from Ernie Manio


Editor's Note: Dexter Carlos Sr. is the father of the children who perished in the crime. 
The name first published in this report was Dexter Carlos Jr., which erroneously referred to the deceased child of Mr. Carlos. 
We regret the error.