MANILA--The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday said that 56 more Filipinos abroad caught COVID-19, raising the total tally of overseas infections among citizens to 8,417.
The respiratory illness also killed 23 more people, bringing the death toll to 536, the agency said.
The number of those who survived from COVID-19 is also up by 5 to 5,081, it added.
“Today, the DFA reports that the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases among Filipinos abroad breached the 8,400 mark with 56 cases mostly in the Middle East and Africa,” the DFA said in a statement.
"The total number of Filipinos under treatment also crossed the 2,800 mark with 5 new recoveries reported from Asia and the Pacific and the Middle East and 23 deaths from the latter region," it added.
To date, some 2,800 Filipino patients abroad are undergoing treatment for COVID-19, broken down as follows by region: 82 in the Asia Pacific Region, 456 in Europe, 2,114 in the Middle East and Africa and 148 in the Americas.
In the Philippines, the COVID-19 has so far sickened 33,069 people, with 1,212 deaths and 8,910 recoveries. - With a report from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News