Customs seizes P29 million in misdeclared goods at Manila port

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 21 2018 04:19 PM | Updated as of Jun 22 2018 03:01 AM

MANILA- The Bureau of Customs (BOC) seized misdeclared goods estimated to be worth P28.92 million in two ports in Manila on Thursday.

Three shipments at the Manila International Container Port were first confiscated by customs officials. 

The shipments, estimated to be worth P13.25 million, came from Korea and China and were consigned to I-Genex Cargo Forwarder, 188 Fortune Merchandising, and Hepomlan Trading.

I-Genex declared its shipment as personal effects and household goods but was found to contain used personal items mixed with several beauty products without necessary permits from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Hepomlan Trading and 188 Fortune, meanwhile, declared their shipments as kitchenware, and bolts and screws. Customs officials, however, recovered speakers, textiles, tiles, and food items that lack FDA permits.

Meanwhile, 16 containers consigned to Janeri Import Trading and Megaabundancesteel Indent Trading Corporation were seized at the Port of Manila.

The containers, which arrived on separate days, contained fake apparel and hot rolled steel coil.
 
Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña said there was a misdeclaration of the goods, which showed a discrepancy between the duties and taxes declared and duties computed by the bureau.

The Office of the District Collector has already issued a warrant of seizure and detention against the shipments estimated to be worth around P15.67 million.
 
The BOC said a criminal case was previously filed against Megaabundacesteel after it was implicated in the case of 105 missing containers at the Port of Manila.
 
“These are their remaining shipment which arrived at the port after their accreditation was revoked. The examination of the customs officers showed that Megaabundancesteel made a high disregard of the law,” Lapeña said.