Police task force: Stranded travelers barred from Cebu, Talisay cities amid COVID-19 spike

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 20 2020 12:20 PM


MANILA - The police task force against the coronavirus disease on Saturday announced a temporary ban on stranded individuals from Cebu City and Talisay City as cases of the highly contagious disease continued to rise there. 

In a statement, the Philippine National Police Joint Task Force COVID Shield said the entry ban came as stricter quarantine measures were enforced in the two cities. 

Earlier this week, Cebu City was placed back under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) following two weeks under general quarantine, and Talisay City reverted to modified ECQ amid a spike in COVID-19 cases. 

“As per instruction of SILG (Secretary of the Interior and Local Government) Eduardo Año, the movement of LSIs (locally stranded individuals) coming from or going to ECQ and MECQ areas will not be allowed temporarily,” said PLt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, commander of the JTF COVID Shield.
 
He said this would give the two cities "ample time to contain the spread of the virus within their respective areas of responsibility." 

Eleazar said the task force has informed PNP Chief General Archie Gamboa of the need to suspend the issuance of travel authority for those hoping to travel to the two cities. 

All regional, provincial, city and station police commanders must also "withhold the issuance of travel authority for LSIs inside their areas of responsibility."

Additional police officers have been ordered deployed to Cebu and Talisay cities to support in the enforcement of quarantine measures.