Sandiganbayan denies Revilla motion

Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 15 2018 07:11 PM

MANILA - A Sandiganbayan division has denied the request of former Senator Bong Revilla to identify the documentary and testimonial evidence of the prosecution on his plunder case.

In a strongly worded resolution signed by 1st Division Chairperson Efren De La Cruz and Associate Justices Geraldine Faith Econg and Edgardo Caldona, the court said Revilla's motion obviously sought to delay his presentation of evidence.

The prosecution finished presenting their evidence against Revilla October last year but the actor-politician's lawyer Estelito Mendoza kept asking for extensions through various motions, including a pending petition for certiorari at the Supreme Court. 

“The court finds it incredulous that at this advanced stage of this case in which the accused-movant has been actively participating, he still stands ignorant and oblivious of the incriminatory evidence against him, to need an extra phase in the proceedings, unsupported by the Rules of Court at that, in order to obviate an imagined burden,” the court said.

The court reiterated that its previous decisions on the denial of Revilla’s bail petition, the admission of the prosecution’s documentary evidence and the denial of motion for leave to file demurrer to evidence prove that the evidence of the prosecution is sufficiently identified.

Aside from the whistleblowers of the PDAF scam, government prosecutors have presented local officials and farmers who denied receiving assistance from Revilla’s discretionary funds.

Revilla, who is currently detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center, has consistently denied the charge that he amassed P224 million in kickbacks from his pork barrel.