MANILA - Lawmakers conducting a joint investigation into the attack on Resorts World Manila ordered the issuance of subpoena against its chairman of the board, David Chua Ming Huat, for failing to appear before a congressional inquiry.
"I move that we issue a subpoena to this person. He might not choose to come here so it will be up to him. If he will not appear, what comes after that is a warrant of arrest," said Rep. Rodolfo Fariñas.
Fariñas said they invited Chua to the congressional inquiry but instead received a letter that he is out of the country.
Resorts World Manila president Kingson Sian said Chua is not Filipino and currently resides in Hong Kong.
He said Chua left the Philippines last June 11, but only received an invitation to attend the inquiry on June 13.
Sian said Chua had already visited the deceased in the Resorts World Manila shooting
Chief Legal Officer Georgina Alvarez explained that Resorts World Manila is a brand but the company that owns it is Travellers International Hotel Inc.