Complaints may have led Duterte to order Kapa Ministry closure- Palace

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 10 2019 02:34 PM

MANILA- "Numerous complaints" regarding religious corporation Kapa-Community Ministry International may have prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to order its closure, Malacañang said Monday.

President Duterte over the weekend ordered authorities to arrest officials of the corporation over allegations it was involved in an investment scam.

"There had been numerous complaints with the President. In fact, me too, I have been receiving complaints about certain people there," Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo told reporters during a Palace press briefing.

"That may have prompted the President from ordering the closure," he said.

Panelo recalled receiving complaints about Kapa from 3 passengers during a flight to General Santos City.

"Na-estafa daw sila, initially akala nila totoo tapos bigla na lang nawala. Na-swindle sila," he said.

(They were deceived. Initially, they thought it was true but it was gone. They were swindled.)

The Securities Exchange Commission has issued a cease and desist order against Kapa.

In March, the regulating body clarified that the order "remains effective and still valid," amid reports it has secured a temporary restraining order.

"Hence, the public is hereby warned to be cautious in dealing with the above-mentioned KAPA and its allied entities, particularly in investing their money with said entities," it said.