MANILA- More policemen have been deployed in malls across Metro Manila to beef up security following a lone gunman’s attack at a casino complex last week.
National Capital Region Police Office Director Oscar Albayade said more policemen were tasked to patrol malls amid concerns of security in private establishments.
“We have deployed uniformed personnel both inside and outside of the different malls particularly those that are really huge and frequented by mall goers,” he told ANC on Saturday.
This after a lone gunman, Jessie Carlos, attacked Resorts World Manila in Pasay City on June 2, leaving 37 people dead and at least 65 others injured. The suspect later committed suicide in a hotel room.
The NCRPO chief said unlike malls, hotels don't usually allow uniformed personnel, particularly those with firearms, inside their establishments.
“Unlike in hotels, uniformed personnel are not allowed inside especially those bearing firearms because, according to the management of the hotels, most of the guests are intimidated when [there is] a uniformed personnel inside their establishments, particularly those with firearms,” he said.
Albayalde expressed hopes that the chilling incident would allow hotel managements to reconsider allowing uniformed personnel inside their establishments.
“With what happened with Resorts World, they would have second thoughts on disallowing uniformed personnel inside their establishments now," he said, noting that they have put up help desks outside hotels.
Following the attack, the Philippine National Police Supervisory Office for Security and Investigation Agencies (PNP-SOSIA) ordered the immediate relief of all on-duty guards provided by NC Lanting Security Specialist Agency stationed at the Maxims Hotel and Newport Mall at Resorts World Manila (RWM) last June 2.
Albayalde refused to comment on the move, saying he was not privy to details. He, however, noted that the management of Resorts World Manila was liable for the incident.
"With regards to the liability of Resorts World management, I’m sure they have the liability, both civil and criminal liability on this," he said.
Resorts World Manila has admitted lapses in its security during the attack and has vowed to address the issues.