MANILA (UPDATE)-- Thousands of cases of violence against women and children were recorded by the police since the start of lockdowns in the country in March, President Rodrigo Duterte said in his June 8 report to Congress.
As of June 4, the President said police recorded 1,954 cases of violence against women and 1,754 cases of violence against children.
To address the problem, Duterte said police are coordinating with local government units to ensure that the rights of women and children are upheld.
"The PNP Women and Children Protection Desks are working closely with LGUs to ensure that the welfare of women and children are protected," he said.
The Philippine Commission on Women is also continuously responding to online inquiries, he added.
Malacañang on Tuesday urged victims of violence to report to authorities so that perpetrators can be held accountable.
"Ireport po ninyo yan para maimbestigahan at maparasuhan iyong gumagawa ng ganitong abuso," Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said in a Palace press briefing.
(Report those incidents so that these can be investigated and perpetrators can be punished.)
"Nakakalungkot po yan na habang tayo ay nasa quarantine, sama-sama nga ang pamilya eh ngayon pa po tumaas ang bilang [ng kaso]," he said.
(It's sad that while families are together during the quarantine, these cases increased.)
The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) previously called on the Duterte administration to protect the rights of women and children during the COVID-19 lockdowns.
It was only this month when the government started to largely ease lockdowns across the country to restart its economy bruised by the pandemic.
Except for Metro Manila, Pangasinan province, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Central Visayas, Davao City, and Zamboanga City, which are under general community quarantine, all areas in the country are under the more relaxed modified GCQ until June 15.