Department of Health Asst. Sec. Eric Tayag on Friday gave tips on what to do during emergencies such as the Resorts World Manila attack, which left at least 38 people dead and injured 67 others.
1. Prepare your exit when entering buildings, especially if it’s a new place you’ve visited.
“When you’re in any place, plan your exit, just in case,” Tayag said in radio DZMM’s Magandang Gabi Dok.
2. When trapped inside a burning building, it helps to open windows but it is more important to escape, Tayag said.
“Makakawala po iyung usok pero ang importante po talaga [ay] makalabas po kayo," he said.
3. Do not jump from buildings. Tayag warned people against imitating stunts in movies.
“Yung mga napapanood niyo po sa pelikula na tumatalon, nako pelikula po 'yun. 'Yung sinasabi nilang pag tumalon ka pagulong-gulong o kung may uunahing ganito, pelikula po 'yun,” he said.
4. If you must jump from buildings, find something that will slow down your fall.
“Kung tatalon kayo, ‘yung may makakapitan kayo para dahan-dahan kayong babagsak, hindi 'yung lalagapak po kayo,” he said.
5. Have presence of mind.
“Ngayon, madaling sabihan po yan pero sa aktwal, nawawala po yun. That’s why kapag nasa lugar kayo, ito po ang babanggitin niyo, ‘When this happens, I will do this,’” he said.
“Halimbawa nagda-diet ka, inimbita ka sa restaurant, ganito ang iisipin mo: ‘When I’m offered softdrinks, I will say no and order water instead.’ So that kapag nandun ka sa restaurant at talagang in-offer ka ng softdrinks, nakundisyon na 'yung utak mo.”
6. If you hear gunfire, drop to your knees and crawl away.
“If you’re hearing gunshots, crawl as fast as you can away from the gunshot. 'Yun ang pwede mong gawin. So ibig sabihin talagang you have to plan,” he said.