MANILA -- The Department of Justice (DOJ) said on Wednesday that it has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate at least 18 people linked to the Marawi siege who surrendered to authorities on Wednesday.
The probe will be pursuant to an arrest order issued by government against members of the Maute and Abu Sayyaf groups.
The arrest order names at least 100, who President Rodrigo Duterte ordered detained in connection with clashes between government troops and militants in Marawi City which started last week, said Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre in a press conference.
Those who surrendered voluntarily went to NBI to clear their names after they were included in the arrest order.
They are members of the Maute and Bandrang family, who said they were worried after seeing their names on the list. - with a report from Johnson Manabat, DZMM