MANILA - Ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno has appealed to the Supreme Court to extend until June 9 the deadline for her to explain why she should not be sanctioned for statements against her colleagues while she faced a petition before the high court.
The motion, which seeks a 15-day extension, was filed with the high court Friday afternoon.
In deciding to remove Sereno as top magistrate, the high court had on May 11 directed her to show cause within 10 days from receipt of notice why she should not be sanctioned for violating the Code of Professional Responsibility and the Code of Judicial Conduct “for transgressing the sub judice rule and for casting aspersions and ill motives to the Members of the Supreme Court.”
The rule bars public discussion on a pending court case.
The court said that while Sereno refused to cooperate with impeachment proceedings at the House of Representatives and to "recognize this Court's jurisdiction" regarding the quo warranto petition against her, she went on to speak about the case and hit colleagues in various public engagements across the country.
“It is well-nigh unthinkable for respondent to profess deprivation of due process when she herself chose to litigate her case before the media,” it said.
Sereno, who was expected to serve as chief magistrate until reaching the mandatory retirement age of 70 in 2030, was removed earlier this month when the high court granted the "quo warranto" plea filed by Solicitor General Jose Calida.
Supreme Court ousts Chief Justice Sereno
Her expulsion from the high court marks the first time that a chief justice was removed through a "quo warranto" plea, a legal recourse Sereno's camp had argued as incorrect.
--Report from Ina Reformina, ABS-CBN News