MANILA (2nd UPDATE) - A magnitude 6.1 earthquake was recorded Sunday morning northwest of Calatagan, Batangas, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The tremor, which was tectonic in origin, struck at 5:50 a.m., with a depth of 122 kilometers.
It was felt in the following areas:
- Intensity IV in Calatagan, Batangas
- Intensity III in Quezon City; Pasay City; Pasig City; Tagaytay City; Mendez, Amadeo and Alfonso in Cavite; and Obando, Bulacan
- Intensity II in Abucay, Bataan; Gapan City, Nueva Ecija; Castillejos, Zambales; Mandaluyong City; Manila City; Makati City; and Tanay, Rizal
The following instrumental intensities were also reported:
- Intensity IV in Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro
- Intensity III in Plaridel, San Ildefonso and Malolos City, Bulacan; Guagua, Pampanga; Tagaytay City; Calapan City, Oriental Mindoro; Batangas City; Olongapo City, Zambales; Gumaca, Quezon
- Intensity II in Talisay, Batangas; Mauban and Dolores, Quezon ; Roxas and San Jose, Occidental Mindoro; Muntinlupa City; Gapan City; Nueva Ecija; Pandi and Marilao, Bulacan; Mulanay, Quezon; Las Piñas City; Marikina City; Malabon City; Cabanatuan City
- Intensity I in Los Baños, Laguna; Iba, Zambales; Pasig City; Quezon City; Tayabas, Polillo, Lopez, San Francisco and Lucban, Quezon; Baler, Aurora
Damage and aftershocks are expected, Phivolcs said.