MANILA (UPDATED) - A male hostage taken by terror group Abu Sayyaf was released Monday, the military said.
Joint Task Force Sulu commander Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the Filipino hostage was released Monday morning and is undergoing debriefing and medical checkup.
"With the release of the new one, meron pang siyam na naiwan," he told DZMM.
(There are still nine hostages.)
Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza flew to Zamboanga City on Monday to hand over Enrico Nee, a district engineer of the Department of Public Works and Highway (DPWH) based in Jolo, to his family.
“Today, we are happy to announce the release of Enrico Nee. The victim is now safe and is reunited with his family,” Dureza said in a statement.
Nee was forcibly taken early morning on February 14 near his house in Barangay Kasalamatan in Jolo, Sulu.
Police said the victim was waiting for his ride when he was taken by armed men.
The Abu Sayyaf also released kidnap victims PO2 Benierose Alvarez and PO1 Dinah Gumahad last week.