LRT-2 safe after 'isolated' train crash: management


Posted at May 20 2019 08:15 AM | Updated as of May 20 2019 08:33 AM

Watch more in iWant or

MANILA -- The LRT-2 is safe, its management said Monday, dubbing as "isolated" a collision of 2 coaches that injured 34 people over the weekend. 

One of the trains encountered a problem in its power supply on Saturday afternoon and was transferred to an emergency parking area between the Anonas and Katipunan stations. Hours later, the unmanned train started moving on its own and wound up on the eastbound track of the railway, where it crashed with another train.  

The incident was a first in the LRT 2's 15-year operation, said the railway management's spokesperson, Atty. Hernando Cabrera. 

"Isolated incident po ito. Generally, iyung ating mga train are safe, iyung ating system safe din po s'ya," he told ABS-CBN News. 

(This is an isolated incident. Generally, our trains are safe, our system is also safe.) 

The LRT Authority was investigating if the unmanned train's brakes were disengaged accidentally, and was determining its speed during the crash and the incline of the train tracks at the area, he said. 

"Sabi nga ni [Transportation] Secretary [Arthur] Tugade, napakaseryosong bagay nito. This involves iyung safety ng ating mga pasahero," said Cabrera.

"Kailangan dapat maimbestigahan ito, malaman ang katotohanan kung ano talagang nangyari doon sa tren na gumulong on its own," he added. 

(As Secretary Tugade said, this is a very serious issue. This involves the safety of our passengers. This should be investigated, so we could know the truth about what happened with the train that moved on its own.) 
Cabrera also explained that the manned train could not not have moved backwards because it would have hit another train.

It would also have been dangerous to unload the passengers while the unmanned train barreled towards them because they could have fallen to the train tracks or could have been hit by electric lines if these snapped, he said. 

Several passengers were still in the hospital as of Monday morning, including a grade 8 student whose jaw cracked, another who was suffering muscle spasm and a patient with traumatic anxiety, said Cabrera.  

 Five trains were running past 6 a.m. and passenger lines were expected to build up until the end of the morning rush hour, said Cabrera.