Palace denies Duterte confined in hospital

Pia Gutierrez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 19 2019 01:20 PM | Updated as of May 19 2019 03:24 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte holds a newspaper for May 19 amid rumors that he is confined Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan. Photo courtesy of Bong Go

MANILA (2ND UPDATE)- Malacañang on Sunday denied reports that President Rodrigo Duterte is confined in Cardinal Santos Medical Center in San Juan City for a medical condition.

Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea in a text message told members of the Malacañang Press Corps (MPC) that the information was not true.

Social media users had been posting that Duterte had been confined at the hospital since Friday and that the medical center was under tight security.

The President was last seen in public on Monday for the midterm elections, when he cast his vote in Davao City.

In photos sent by former presidential aide Christopher “Bong” Go, President Duterte can be seen holding a copy of a newspaper for Sunday in Bahay Pangarap in Malacañang Park.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo also denied the reports but noted that Duterte neither confirmed nor denied whether he did go to the hospital.

"The President is in his residence at the Palace signing papers. I just talked to him, he is neither confirming nor denying that he went to the hospital," Panelo said.