PNP anti-drug body 'dismayed' by Marcelino release

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 19 2017 02:25 PM

MANILA - The Philippine National Police's (PNP) anti-drug group on Friday expressed dismay at the release of Lt. Col. Ferdinand Marcelino and his Chinese informant as they questioned why prosecutors took the Marine’s defenses as “gospel truth”.

“As I have mentioned so far, all the defenses raised by Col. Marcelino [were] taken as a gospel truth by the ruling,” said Supt. Enrico Rigor, spokesperson of the PNP Drug Enforcement Group in a press briefing in Camp Crame.

The PNP was among complainants in the case against Marcelino and his asset, Chinese national Yan Yi Shou.

Rigor also slammed how Yan had benefited from the Department of Justice's (DOJ) decision to drop charges against Marcelino.

The Marine got out of detention Thursday afternoon.

The DOJ this week reversed a Sept. 15, 2016 ruling that found Marcelino and Yan liable for non-bailable charges of drug manufacturing and possession after they were arrested in an anti-drug operation in January 2016. 

The indictment had overturned a May 2016 DOJ resolution- the first on the case- which dismissed the charges against the two for “insufficiency of evidence.” 

The latest DOJ ruling gave weight to evidence presented by Marcelino, a former top anti-narcotics agent credited for major busts, including certifications from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on his contributions to their anti-drug operations. 

Anti-drug operatives had said the two were caught with P320 million worth of methamphetamine hydrochloride, locally known as shabu, at the time of their arrest, but Marcelino insisted that they were undertaking intelligence operations.- with reports from Jeff Canoy, ABS-CBN News