Criminal rap vs QC cop who killed ex-soldier 'lacking in evidence', returned to police

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 18 2020 08:58 AM | Updated as of May 18 2020 09:13 AM

Watch more News on iWantTFC

MANILA - The criminal case against a policeman who shot a former soldier near a quarantine checkpoint last month was returned by the prosecutor for further investigation, the chief of the Philippine National Police said Monday.

Winston Ragos, 34, was fatally shot by Police Master Sgt. Daniel Florendo Jr. on April 21 in Quezon City after the former had an argument with police trainees. Florendo shot Ragos dead as he reached for a supposed firearm inside a sling bag.

"May pagkukulang pa on the evidence ata that would not warrant for filing of the appropriate case. Kaya binalik sa kapulisan for further investigation. Sa administrative cases it's still ongoing," PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa told ABS-CBN's Teleradyo.

The Philippine Army had sought the help of the National Bureau of Investigation for an impartial investigation after its top lawyer found prejudgment and differing testimonies from the policemen and witnesses in the area where Ragos was killed.

A video clip that circulated on social media showed Florendo with his firearm pointed at Ragos, ordering the latter to drop to the ground several times. Several witnesses were heard on the background telling the cops not to shoot the man who was seen unarmed.

Police said a caliber .38 gun was found in Ragos' bag but a witness said the ex-soldier, who was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), was unarmed during the incident.

Gamboa, meantime, said the PNP would also look into the supposed mauling of a quarantine violator in Cavite.

The chief of Cavite Police on Sunday said suspect identified as Ronald Campo was under the influence of alcohol and sustained self-injuries as he attempted to escape detention.