CHR urges gov’t to go case-by-case on alleged EJKs

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 15 2017 05:34 PM | Updated as of May 15 2017 06:27 PM

Human rights advocates hold placards condemning extra judicial killing during a mass at the Redemptorist Church in Manila on August 10, 2016. Noel Celis, AFP Photo

MANILA- The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is urging the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte to go beyond numbers of alleged extrajudicial killings and study the deaths on a per-case basis.

Human rights commissioner Karen Dumpit said the government should address cases of alleged extrajudicial killings following concerns raised by nearly 50 states during a United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) periodic review.

“Let’s go case by case. Let’s look at names because the numbers are there to indicate where we want to go and how we want to dig deeper,” Dumpit told ANC on Monday.

The UNHRC last week examined the Philippines' record, wherein the government delegation said there had been no new wave of killings prompted by the campaign and denounced "alternative facts".

The Council adopted a final report comprising 257 recommendations submitted by 95 states and told the Philippines to report back "with a clear position" on the recommendations at its September session.

Among the recommendations, many called on the Philippines to put an end to extra-judicial killings, enforced disappearances, to thoroughly investigate these extra-judicial killings and hold those responsible accountable.

Dumpit defended the legitimacy of the UNHRC to assess Manila’s human rights concerns, saying the issue is universal.

“It’s erroneous to say that the states are interfering in our domestic affairs because human rights is a universal affair. Everybody gets affected,” she said.

“The UN actually developed the universal periodic mechanism with the objective of improving the human rights situation on the ground,” she added.

President Rodrigo Duterte has been widely criticized for alleged extrajudicial killings under his controversial crackdown on narcotics with over 2,900 people killed in presumed legitimate police operations since he took office last year.

Duterte is also the first Philippine president to face a complaint before the international tribunal over alleged extrajudicial killings linked to his anti-narcotics campaign.