MANILA (UPDATED) - A couple went missing after traveling by boat to an island village in Eastern Samar to sell fish amid Typhoon Ambo's onslaught, Gov. Ben Evardone said Thursday.
In a phone interview with ABS-CBN's TV Patrol, Evardone said that the couple took a boat ride from the island barangay of Santa Monica in Oras town to sell fish in Dolores town.
"Pagkabenta, umalis sila kaagad. Hanggang ngayon, hindi pa sila nakakabalik sa kanilang barangay," he said.
(After they sold the fish, they left immediately. But until now, they haven't yet returned to their village.)
Authorities later found the couple on an island, waiting out the storm, Evardone said later in an interview with ABS-CBN's TeleRadyo.
"Buti napadpad sila sa isang isla ngayong gabi. Mga buhay naman. Pasalamat naman ako," he said.
(It's good they got to an island this night. They're alive. I'm thankful.)
Ambo, the country's first typhoon this year, hit land earlier in the day over San Policarpo, Eastern Samar past noon.
The weather was packing strong winds of 155 kilometers per hour with 190 kph gusts, PAGASA said in its afternoon bulletin.
The state weather bureau had warned that "potentially life-threatening" storm surges 2 to 4 meters high may hit Northern Samar, Eastern Samar (east coast), Samar (west coast), Sorsogon, Albay, Catanduanes, Camarines Sur, Camarines Norte, Quezon and Aurora.
Evardone said he has no updates yet on how many people have been evacuated since strong winds and rains began lashing the province starting early morning Thursday.
"Kanina pang umaga, nagpa-forced evacuation na ako. Ongoing ang mga evacuation," he said.
(I've already ordered forced evacuations, since this morning. Evacuations are ongoing.)
The governor assured evacuees and other residents of Eastern Samar will not starve during the typhoon's onslaught.
"Hindi namin papayagan na may magutom dito," he said.
(We won't allow anyone to starve here.)