MANILA (UPDATE) - Storm signal no. 2 was raised in parts of Mindanao as tropical depression Crising intensified into a tropical storm Thursday morning, the state weather bureau said.
The country's third storm this year was last estimated 250 kilometers east of Davao City at 1 p.m., while packing maximum winds of 65 kph near the center with gusts of up to 80 kph, PAGASA said in its 2 p.m. advisory.
It accelerated to 25 km per hour as it moved west northwest, PAGASA added.
Crising will bring moderate to heavy rains over Surigao del Sur, Agusan del Sur, Davao Oriental, Davao de Oro, and Davao del Norte, according to the weather bureau.
It is expected to hit land over the Davao Oriental-Surigao del Sur area between Thursday night and early Friday, PAGASA said.
The storm is forecast to weaken into a tropical depression as it traverses the rugged landmass of Mindanao on Friday, the weather bureau said. It will further weaken into a low pressure area after it emerges over the Sulu Sea early Saturday prior to leaving the Philippine area of responsibility on Sunday, it added.
The following areas were placed under tropical cyclone wind signal no. 2, where winds of 61 to 120 kph may be expected in 24 hours which might blow off old galvanized iron roofs and down wooden, old electric posts:
- Southern portion of Surigao del Sur (Lingig, City of Bislig)
- Southeastern portion of Agusan del Sur (Loreto, Trento, Bunawan, Santa Josefa, Veruela)
- Northern portion of Davao Oriental (Boston, Cateel, Baganga)
- Northern portion of Davao de Oro (Laak, Monkayo, Montevista, Compostela, New Bataan, Nabunturan,Mawab)
- Northern portion of Davao del Norte (Kapalong, San Isidro, Asuncion, New Corella, Talaingod)
Tropical cyclone wind signal no. 1, which may slightly damage houses of very light materials or makeshift structures in exposed communities, was raised in the following areas:
- Rest of Surigao del Sur
- Rest of Agusan del Sur
- Agusan del Norte
- Rest of Davao Oriental
- Rest of Davao de Oro
- Rest of Davao del Norte
- Davao City
- Lanao del Sur
- Lanao del Norte
- Misamis Occidental
- Misamis Oriental
- Eastern portion of Zamboanga del Sur (Josefina, Molave, Tambulig, Aurora