As gov't announces modified quarantine, 264 new COVID-19 cases recorded in PH

Kristine Sabillo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 12 2020 04:30 PM | Updated as of May 12 2020 07:22 PM

As gov't announces modified quarantine, 264 new COVID-19 cases recorded in PH 1
Select cops from the Manila and Northern Police District Commands undergo swab tests to check for COVID-19 at People’s Park in Caloocan City on May 6, 2020. ABS-CBN News

MANILA — The Philippines logged 264 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, as the government announced relaxed quarantine measures in various parts of the country. 

The Department of Health said that of the new cases, 165 or 63 percent are from the National Capital Region, which will be under modified enhanced community quarantine by May 16. 

DOH said 74 cases or 28 percent of the new cases are from Region 7 or Central Visayas, and 25 or 9 percent are from other regions.

This brings the total number of cases in the Philippines to 11,350.

The DOH bulletin also recorded 107 new recovered patients or a total of 2,106 recoveries.

Meanwhile, there were 25 new coronavirus-related deaths or a total of 751 fatalities.

Of the 8,361 active cases, 796 are asymptomatic, 7,487 have mild symptoms, 54 have severe symptoms and 24 are considered critical cases or are intubated.

There are also 2,369 probable cases or those with inconclusive or unofficial test results and 17,744 suspect cases or those awaiting test results.

The country has now ran 181,668 tests on 166,470 individuals. Of those, 15,436 or around 10 percent were positive. The DOH said that this is higher than the confirmed cases because they still have to run validation and verification processes.

 

“Kahit GCQ o ECQ ang ipatupad sa ating lugar tandaan ito ay quarantine pa rin,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said during the televised briefing. “Alalahanin lang po nating mag-physical distancing, magsuot ng mask, palagiang maghugas ng kamay at panatilihin ang proper hygiene.”

(Even if GCQ or ECQ is implemented in your place, you should remember that it’s still quarantine. We need to remember to follow physical distancing, wear a mask and regularly wash hands and observe proper hygiene.)

Earlier in the day, President Rodrigo Duterte said the Philippines could not afford another wave of coronavirus infections, as he prepared the public for the looming easing of restrictions.

Duterte, in a taped public address aired Tuesday, urged the public to wear face masks and practice physical distancing as part of the new norm.

"The easing up of the restrictions, hindi iyan sabihin na wala na ang COVID (it doesn't mean there is no more COVID-19), just because we allow certain people [outside]," he said.

"We cannot afford a second or third wave na mangyari. Ito 'yung mabagong mahawa na naman at dadami na naman dahil nga sa mayroon tayong rules na hindi sinunod," he added.

(These are the new cases that will pop up because we didn't follow certain rules.)

- With reports from Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News