LANAO DEL SUR - Dozens of Islamic militants who laid siege in Marawi City have surrendered to authorities, a military official said.
The most prominent of the surrenderees are the wife and son of Mohammad Maute.
Mohammad, the eldest among Maute brothers, died in the battle that lasted for five months and has reduced the once-bustling city into ruins.
The surrenderees were presented to President Rodrigo Duterte at the provincial capitol on Friday.
They received financial assistance as part of the government's efforts to reintegrate militants to mainstream society.
Col. Romeo Brawner, deputy commander of Task Force Ranao, said the militants have provided government forces information in their continuing fight against terrorism.
"Their surrender sent a message na futile ang effort nila na mag-create ng caliphate dito sa Pilipinas," he told ABS-CBN News.
"Marami silang nabigay na impormasyon sa atin para matugis natin ang mga remnants ng grupo."
Several militants, Brawner said, continue to operate in Lanao del Sur under the leadership of Abu Dar.
Earlier reports said that Dar, a native of Pagayawan town in Lanao del Sur, has succeeded Isnilon Hapilon.
Hapilon, said to be the anointed emir of the Islamic State in Southeast Asia, was killed in military offensives in October last year along with terror leader Omar Maute. - with a report from Roxanne Arevalo, ABS-CBN News