Makati chief of police, 9 others sacked over extortion

ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 10 2017 09:27 PM

Ten Makati policemen, including the chief of police and his top intelligence officer, were sacked Wednesday for alleged involvement in extorting P250,000 from a couple purportedly abducted by police officers Monday.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Chief Oscar Albayalde said Makati Police Chief Senior Supt. Dionisio Bartolome and his intelligence head Chief Insp. Oscar Pagulayan were relieved after eight of their men were arrested for extortion.

"Yes, additional four were also relieved. We have a total of 8 non-commissioned [officers]. The chief of intelligence and the chief of police were also relieved," Albayalde said in an interview on ABS-CBN News Channel's Top Story.

The others relieved were SP01 Ernesto Pagao, P02 Michael Garcia, P02 Arijon Arid, P01 Jomel Tuazon. 

"They will be part of the investigation also. They must be in cahoots of the four who are previously arrested by the CITF (Counter-Intelligence Task Force) members," he said.

"If the investigation shows they have something to do with the extortion activities of these personnel, then they will also be held liable."

PO2 Harley Garcera, PO2 Clarence Maynas, PO1 Tim Santosy and PO1 Jeffrey Cañete were earlier arrested in an entrapment operation for robbery, extortion and kidnapping.

The officers were arrested after allegedly demanding cash from a couple they purportedly abducted at a car repair shop in Pasay City on Monday. 

The couple alleged that the officers initially demanded P400,000 for their release, then later agreed to a P250,000 payment. The couple was released at dawn Tuesday after making an initial payment of P100,000. 

They then reported the incident to police, who arranged a sting operation as the couple were to pay the remaining P150,000 to the officers.