SAF troops begin receiving P37M 'missing allowance'

Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News

Posted at May 08 2018 09:44 PM | Updated as of May 09 2018 08:27 AM

MANILA - Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) personnel are now receiving portions of the P37 million allowance that was not fully distributed to around 4,000 SAF from 2016-2017, according to the SAF chief. 

SAF Director Noli Taliño said the money was turned over by former budget officer Supt. Andre Dizon and received by incumbent budget officer Supt. Aladdin Collado. 

The money was given in two tranches--P10 million and P27 million, he said.

Prior to this, 12 police officers, including retired Police Director Moro Virgil Lazo, filed charges of plunder and malversation of public funds against former SAF Police Director Benjamin Lusad and 3 other former SAF personnel over the undistributed allowance. 

According to the complaint, uniformed personnel of SAF are entitled to an additional daily subsistence allowance of P30, equivalent to P900 per month.
 
The additional allowance is for 4,000 uniformed SAF personnel.

According to the complainants, they only received the additional allowance in January 2016 and January 2017, but not for the whole year. 

Taliño said he ordered a review of those who were not able to receive any additional allowance from 2016 to 2017.

"Noong nalaman atin iyon, we have started distributing already itong pera na ito para maibigay na sa mga tropang umaasa dito,” Taliño said.

(When we found out about it, we have started distributing this money to troops who are expecting it.)

“Masaya yung mga tropa natin kasi itong ASA (additional subsistence allowance) na ito ay inaasahan nila," he added.

(The troops are happy since they had been expecting this.)