MANILA - The government might consider lifting the lockdown in select cities in Metro Manila that show a steady decline of COVID-19 cases, government officials said Thursday.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque and Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said if the trend of declining COVID-19 cases continues in certain cities, these areas might transition to a general community quarantine earlier than others.
"Some cities in Metro Manila may be downgraded into GCQ but we still have 8 days to go so we will wait for the data analytics,” Año told ANC in an interview.
Año said San Juan and Valenzuela are some cities in the metro that show a decreasing trend in COVID-19 cases.
Roque, during a Palace briefing, added that the government would also check on the capacity of the health sector to provide medical treatment to those who might get sick.
"Kung di po magbabago ang datos na nagpapakita ngayon na bumabagal na ang pagkalat at meron pa tayong kapasidad na magbigay ng critical care eh siguro nga po yan ang direksyon (GCQ)," he said.
(If the data showing that the spread of COVID-19 is slowing down will not change, and we have the capacity to provide critical care then maybe we are headed for that direction.)
Metro Manila and other areas at high risk of a COVID-19 outbreak remain under enhanced community quarantine until May 15.
So far, Quezon City has the most number of COVID-19 cases in the capital region at 1,464.
Should there be a transition to a relaxed community quarantine, Roque said the government would inform the public ahead of the May 15 expiry of the lockdown.
To date, the Philippines has tallied 10,004 coronavirus infections, of whom 658 died while 1,506 have recovered.