MANILA (UPDATED) -- President Rodrigo Duterte is offering a P30,000 reward to anyone for verified information on local government officials stealing financial aid intended for beneficiaries of the government's coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic relief program, Malacañang said Monday night.
"'Pag napatunayan po 'yong inyong reklamo sa korapsyon laban sa mga lokal na opisyales na kinukurakot 'yong mga ayuda na pinamimigay ng gobyerno, P30,000 ang pabuya na ibibigay ng ating presidente sa inyo," Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said in an inter-agency task force meeting.
"Alinsunod po ito sa zero tolerance ng ating presidente laban sa korapsyon, lalong-lalo na po roon sa mga kumakana at kumukurakot ng ayuda para sa mga mahihirap," he added.
During the Palace briefing, Duterte blew his top and said mayors should look into the distribution of financial aid, citing a report on a village kagawad, a certain Danilo Flores of Barangay San Agustin, Hagonoy, Bulacan, who is accused of graft.
"Mayors naman, kindly look into the people that you have commissioned to do the distribution doon sa pera," the president said.
"Mahirap na nga, ikaw may trabaho ka na, kagawad ka ah, p*t*ng*n* kukunin mo pa 'yong pera ng mahihirap," Duterte said, naming the accused official.
People may report their concerns to the government at telephone number 8888, Roque said. Callers should also include their name and contact details if they are requesting for financial aid.
Under the national government's Social Amelioration Program in response to the COVID-19 crisis, poor Filipinos are given financial aid ranging from P5,000 to P8,000 during the lockdown to provide for their basic necessities.
Metro Manila and other parts of the country remain under the enhanced community quarantine in an effort to contain the coronavirus pandemic.
The Philippines on Monday recorded the highest number of COVID-19 recoveries in a day, 101, bringing the total to 1,315 recoveries with 9,485 total cases and 623 fatalities so far.