MANILA - The United States has allocated an additional P182 million to support the rehabilitation of communities displaced by the 5-month siege of Marawi City, its envoy announce Thursday.
The aid will benefit 58,000 people, build transitional shelters, repair water and sanitation facilities, provide psycho-social support, establish safe spaces for women and children and jumpstart the local economy, said US Ambassador to the Philippines Ambassador Sung Kim.
This brings total US contributions to nearly P1.4 billion.
Washington and Manila believe the terror threat "continues to exist" in the south so vigilance, intelligence and information sharing must remain, said Kim.
He said cooperation includes training and exercising together, equipment grants and continued sharing of intelligence and information.
More than 1,000 were killed, mostly terrorists, and more than 300,000 were displaced from the city and nearby areas in the fighting that continued from May to October last year. It also destroyed much of the city, a commercial and cultural hub in Mindanao.
More than 1,000 were killed, mostly terror suspects, and more than 300,000 were displaced from the city and nearby areas in the fighting that raged from May to October last year. It also destroyed much of the city, a commercial and cultural hub in Mindanao.
The US had supported Manila's campaign against terrorists in the Islamic City by providing technical support and counter-terror weapons.