MANILA - The impeachment complaint filed against Vice President Leni Robredo was submitted for endorsement to Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, a member of the Impeach Leni Movement said Wednesday.
Lawyer Bruce Rivera explained this a day after Pwersa ng Bayaning Atleta party-list Rep. Jericho Nograles said two lawyers approached him with a complaint bearing his name without his consent.
"When I was talking yesterday, we were referring to Congressman, Speaker Alvarez when I said that we gave it to an office," Rivera said in an interview with ANC's Early Edition.
In a press conference on Tuesday, Rivera claimed a male lawmaker is still "studying" the complaint for possible endorsement. He claimed they had already secured the solon's "commitment."
Nograles, son of former Speaker Prospero Nograles and kin of President Rodrigo Duterte, however, denied backing the complaint and said the lawyers' move may subject them to disbarment.
In the interview, Rivera said there was a "misunderstanding" among members of their group regarding Nograles' supposed endorsement of their petition.
"The other lawyers allegedly had a talk with Congressman Nograles, but we're not privy to that," he said.
"At the time of the filing, and in fact three days ago, we were informed that indeed, he wanted to be part of it and he wanted to read the impeachment complaint beforehand. That's the reason why we went to his office," he added.
Rivera said he and Angeles went to Nograles' office on Tuesday. He said that before that meeting, they had never met the party-list lawmaker.
"When we were asked to deliver the copy of the impeachment complaint, he was a little bit angry because his name was there," he said.
"We said that we are going to remove his name if he's not going to endorse it. He got angry, so we had to tell him that we were leaving. We just submitted the impeachment complaint to the Office of the Speaker, Speaker Alvarez," he added.
Rivera said they are now awaiting word from Alvarez regarding the impeachment complaint.
Their complaint alleged, among others, that Robredo betrayed public trust when she criticized the killings committed in the Duterte administration's war on drugs.
Alvarez earlier said the submission of the video to the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs was "very irresponsible and a stupid move" as this could hamper the country's economy and tourism.
The complaint also accused Robredo of misdeclarations in her Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth and misusing Pag-IBIG funds when she was chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council.
Robredo's lawyer has denied the allegations, saying the Vice-President never used HUDCC funds to sponsor an event in the US.
"There was no PAG-IBIG event as far as I know. She has gone to the United States several times after she assumed the office of the Vice President but none of these were funded by any housing agency, PAG-IBIG or otherwise. They were either official visits paid for from the funds of the Office of the Vice President or if they were personal visits, they were paid for by her own account," Atty. Barry Gutierrez, Robredo's legal adviser, told ANC.- with a report from RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News