MANILA- The National Task Force on the West Philippine Sea will meet online Tuesday to discuss recent actions of China that prompted Manila to file a diplomatic protest, National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said.
Esperon said among the issues that would be discussed are China's act of pointing a radar gun on a Philippine Navy ship in February, and its recent declaration of parts of Philippine territory as part of its Hainan province.
China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, encroaching into the West Philippine Sea, part of the waters within the Philippines' exclusive economic zone.
"Magmi-meeting kami video conference din," Esperon said in a virtual press briefing.
"Pag-uusapan din natin 'yung ibang developments diyan (West Philippine Sea)," he added.
(We will meet via video conference...We will discuss other developments there.)
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said last week the Philippines filed diplomatic protests against China over the 2 incidents which he described as "both violations of international law and Philippine sovereignty."
The Philippines won an arbitration award in 2016 from the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, declaring China's sweeping claims over almost the entire South China Sea as having no legal basis.
Beijing has disregarded the landmark ruling and continued expansion even as the world focused on response to the coronavirus disease 2019, the outbreak of which started in the Chinese city of Wuhan.