Even with downgraded quarantine status, beneficiaries to get 2nd tranche of cash aid: DSWD

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 27 2020 01:57 PM

Volunteers distribute goods in Barangay Batis, San Juan City on March 23, 2020. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA- Beneficiaries of the first round of government cash aid for the coronavirus crisis are the same people entitled for another round of dole-outs, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Monday.

Based on prevailing guidelines, DSWD Secretary Rolando Bautista said recipients of the first round of emergency assistance are still entitled to the second round of cash aid even though the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in their areas has been downgraded to a general community quarantine (GCQ).

"Sa ngayon, batay sa umiiral na panuntunan, kung sino yung nakatanggap ng unang wave ay sila rin ang makakatanggap ngayong Mayo," he said in a virtual press briefing.

(For now, based on the prevailing guidelines, those who received the first wave will still receive aid this May.)

"Dalawang buwan ang social amelioration program kaya lang ang pamamahagi ng cash subsidies sa second tranche ay nakadepende sa bilis ng LGUs sa pag-liquidate ng unang tranche," he added.

(The social amelioration program is for 2 months but the distribution of cash subsidies for the second trance is dependent on how fast local government units can liquidate the first tranche.)

Bautista made the remark after Malacañang said last week that cash subsidies for poor families in GCQ areas will be considered for reprioritization for areas still under lockdown.

"For GCQ areas, general community quarantine, iko-consider po ang reprioritizing ng SAP cash subsidy towards ECQ areas," Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Friday.

(For GCQ areas, we will consider reprioritizing the cash subsidies towards ECQ areas.)

The DSWD targets to provide cash aid, ranging from P5,000 to P8,000 to 18 million poor families in 2 tranches--from April to May.

The government has set aside a P200-billion budget to fund the program, which began earlier this month. Bautista said almost 97 percent of the funds have been transferred to local government units for distribution to poor families.

The DSWD chief also assured the public that there are still enough funds for the second round of social amelioration program.

"Sapat ang pondo para sa dalawang buwan na pamamahagi ng SAP​. Makakaasa po ang ating mga kababayan na sa pagpapatuloy ng krisis mayroon silang matatanggap na tulong sa pamahalaan," he said.

(There is enough funds for the 2-month distribution of SAP. Our countrymen can expect that as the crisis continues, they can receive help from the government.)